What is Monk fruit sweetener?
Monk fruit sweetener is also called monk fruit extract. It is the extract of the Luo Han Guo/Monk fruit. Mogroside V is the main sweetener component. Other extract components include: mogroside II, mogroside III, mogroside IV, mogroside VI, flavonoids, melanoidins, protein fragments and so on. To some extent, Mogroside V or Mogroside 5 is the same meaning of Monk fruit sweetener. Monk fruit sweetener is off-white to light yellow powder, and a non-nutritive sweetener. It is freely soluble in water and is approximately 150-250 times sweeter than sugar.
The taste of Monk fruit sweetener is sweet. It has a course sugar-like consistency and is light beige in color. It does have a slight aftertaste.
Monk fruit sweetener can be used for food and beverage manufacturers to reduce sugar and calories without bitter aftertaste.
What is Mogroside Sweetener and Mogroside V?
Some mogrosides are natural sweeteners. The pure mogroside mix is extracted from the Siraitia grosvenorii fruit is 300 times sweeter than sugar. Pure Mogroside V or Mogroside-5 can be up to 400 times as sweet. Mogrosides are used in various natural sweetener products.
A mogroside sweetener is a chemical compound, and constitutes a glycoside of cucurbitane derivatives. They are found in certain plants, such as in monk fruit.
Mogrosides, the mixture of cucurbitane glycoside, which have the common mogrol, are comprised with 11 kinds of cucurbitane glycoside which are the Mogroside III, Mogrosied IV, Mogroside V, Mogroside IIE, Mogorside IIIE , Mogrosied A, Neomogroside, Siamenside I, and 11- Oxo- Mogroside V.
There are five types of mogrosides in monk fruit extract. Mogroside V (Mogroside 5) is the most intensely sweetness intensity. The more Mogroside V in the monk fruit extract, the higher the sweetness. A monk fruit extract with a higher sweetness gives food and beverage manufacturers a better cost-in-use benefit.
Mogroside V chemical structure:
Mogroside IV is a component with no sweet taste. Mogroside A, Mogroside II, and Neomogroside are bitterness substance. In all cucurbitane glycoside, Siamenside I is the sweetest component, whose sweetness is approximate 500-600 times of sucrose. But its content in the fruit is very low. The content and sweet degree both high in all the mogrosides is Mogroside V, the sweet degree of which is approximate 250-350 times.
Mogroside V Specification
|Product Name||:||Luo Han Guo Extract Powder, Monk fruit sweetener , Monk fruit extract, Mogroside V, Mogroside 5|
|Botanical Name||:||Siraitia grosvenorii|
|Plant Part Used||:||Ripe fruit|
|Appearance||:||Off-white powder with high sweet taste|
|Mogroside V Specification||:||40%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 98% by HPLC|
|Method of drying||:||Spray drying|
Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) Benefits
Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) make it a natural choice for your reduced-calorie products. The benefits as follows:
- A natural high sweetener extracted from monk fruit with good sweetness quality.
- Approximate 300 times of sucrose. Suitable for formulation at high sweetness levels.
- Low calories. In an equal degree of sweet, Mogrosides V’ s calorie is only 2% of that of sucrose’s. Mogrosides V is Ideal for use in reduced-sugar products where use levels of sweeteners can be optimized. Suitable for use in sugar-free, no-sugar-added and reduced-sugar food products.
- Readily soluble. Mogroside V is a kind of yellowish powder and easily soluble in water. Available as a readily soluble powder for easy formulation.
- Stable to processing and storage over a wide pH range, making it ideal for use in low-pH systems such as beverages and in neutral-pH foods and beverages. It has excellent heat stability and wouldn’t be spoiled even in 100℃ neutral water, or in 120℃ for hours. In addition, it can be maintained under PH value 2.0~10.0 for two years without quality affected.
- Safety. Experimentations shows its LD50value more than 100g/kg; and no side effects found during thousand years using by Chinese people. Monk fruit extract is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by FDA.
- Zero glycemic index. Zero calories. Does not contribute to tooth decay. May have useful medicinal properties. It may have a role to play in weight control and regulation of blood sugar. Diabetics would be well advised to see what effect the inclusion of this sweetener makes in their diet.
Monk fruit sweetener manufacturing process
The way to make fruit extract as follows:
From the monk fruit seedling, to the harvest of the fruit, to sweetener extraction, the highest level of quality control, hands-on supervision and care go into the making of monk fruit sweetener.
A clean, simple process is used to extract the natural, no-calorie sweetness from monk fruit:
- Crush – The fresh fruit is crushed to release its natural sweet juice.
- Infuse – The crushed fruit is mixed with hot water to make a sweet infusion.
- Filter – The infusion is filtered and goes through a separation process to purify and further extract the sweet components called mogrosides. The concentrate is then spray-dried to produce a fine white powder.
The result is a natural, no calorie sweetener ingredient that’s around 160 – 200 times sweeter than sugar.
What is monk fruit?
Monk fruit also called Siraitia grosvenorii, it is the English name of luo han guo or lo han guo. Luo Han means monk and Guo means fruit, and it has become known as Monk Fruit in the west. It belongs to Cucurbitaceae (gourd) family, cultivated for its fruit, whose extract is nearly 300 times sweeter than sugar and has been used in China as a low-calorie sweetener for cooling drinks and in traditional Chinese medicine.
Monk fruit contains natural sugars, mainly fructose and glucose. However, unlike most fruits, the natural sugars in monk fruit are not the main compounds responsible for its sweetness. Monk fruit extract actually gets its intense sweetness from unique antioxidants called mogrosides.
During processing, mogrosides are separated from the fresh-pressed juice of the monk fruit. Therefore, monk fruit sweetener does not contain fructose or glucose.
Depending on the amount of mogrosides present, monk fruit extract can provide a level of sweetness around 100–250 times greater than table sugar.
Monk fruit History
Luo Han Guo is a perennial vine, cultivated in northern Guangxi of China. Its dried fruits are ellipse or round, with brown or snuff surface and abundant small pale and black hairs. People have used it for centuries for both its sweet flavor and its medicinal property in China. After processed, it can be used as a remedy for colds and congestion of the lung. Nowadays Luo Han Guo is used as a low calorie-sweetening agent in juices or drinks, or it can be made into a desirable beverage itself.
Mogroside V Use & Application in food
Monk fruit sweetener can be used in beverages and food, Monk Fruit sweetener can be formulated into a variety of foods including beverages, soup, tea, dairy, cereal, confectionery and bakery products. With Monk Fruit sweetener, you can add natural sweetness to your consumers’ favourite products with no bitter aftertaste and no calories.
- Juice drinks
- Ready-to-drink teas and coffees
- Enhanced waters
- Soft drinks
- Nutrition bars
- Flavoured milk and yoghurt
- Confectionery and baked goods
Mogroside V is used as a natural zero calorie sweetener. Because it is about 300 times sweeter than sugar it needs to be mixed with a bulking agent if used as a table top sweetener. It is heat stable, with a long shelf life, and is suitable for cooking and baking. It also mixes well with other low calorie sweeteners such as Stevioside and Rebaudioside A and erythritol, producing a synergistic effect and masking unwanted aftertaste.
Mogroside V can partially or wholly replace sucrose in food industry. For example, add 0.012% mogroside v into dextrin can make soft sweets without adding sugar. When substitute mogroside V for sucrose in biscuits production, the texture and taste will be very nice. When making pickles, to add 0.005% Mogroside v to the solution can reduce costs of salt, while the pickles tastes more crisp and fresh.
Mogroside V can be blended with some other herbal extract to make into instant tea bag. Besides works as sweet properties, Luo Han Guo extract will also give benefit like thirst-quenching, diuretie, refreshing, lowering blood-pressure, promoting gastrointestinal function and etc.
Mogroside V 40%
It is proved by that an extract contains 20% Magroside V will keep too many characteristic Luo Han Guo taste, therefore this grade should not be suitable as sweetener. On another hand, when the content of Mogroside V has been improved to 60% in the extract, its cost will be double of 40% grade when generate same level sweet degree. As a result, 40% Mogroside V is common sold by manufacturer and suppliers.
Monk fruit sweetener side effects
It’s generally safe for those with diabetes because it doesn’t increase blood sugars.
Monk fruit extract safety
FDA has deemed monk fruit “generally recognized as safe (GRAS)” for everyone. It is safe for pregnant women and children. Even so, because monk fruit is relatively new to the mass market, there are no scientific studies on the effects of long-term use.
Monk fruit allergy
Monk fruit allergies are rare, but there’s a risk of allergic reaction with anything you consume. Monk fruit is a member of the Curcurbitaceae family (also known as the gourd family), which includes pumpkin, squash, cucumbers, and melons. Your risk of monk fruit allergy is higher if you’re allergic to other gourds. Signs of allergic reaction may include:
- hives or rash
- difficulty breathing
- rapid or weak pulse
- swollen tongue
- stomach pain or vomiting
Monk fruit vs stevia taste
Stevia (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A) and monk fruit sweetener are all natural, non-nutritive sweeteners, but which you prefer?
We all know these two natural sweeteners are all good alternatives for sugar used for low calories foods.
The similarity of Monk Fruit and Stevia:
- Both are natural and derived from plants. (Stevia (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A) extracted from stevia rebaudiana, Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) from Monk Fruit )
- Little or Zero calories
- Do not raise blood sugar
- Both are high intense sweeteners, only a little is enough
Monk Fruit VS Stevia
- Taste difference:Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) has a good clean taste, better than Stevia (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A), and without the bitter aftertaste. monk fruit has a better taste, although it depends to some degree on what you’re using them to sweeten.
- Price difference: One reason Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) has not yet gained wide usage is because it has a cost factor double that of Stevia (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A). In addition it has not yet gained approval in Europe. There are fewer orchards that can grow monk fruit as compared to stevia plants. As a result, monk fruit sweeteners are more expensive.
- Assay difference: the main stevia products (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A) are very pure in the market while Monk fruit sweetener products, the assay of Mogroside V has big difference, the common is 40%. We can manufacture and supply 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 98% Mogroside V.
Monk fruit nutrition facts
Nutrients Per 100 Grams
WATER……………………………………………… < 6 g
CALORIES (calculated) ……………………..60 kcal
PROTEIN ………………………………………….. 8 g
ASH ………………………………………………….. < 5 g
TOTAL FAT ………………………………………. 0 g
AVAILABLE CARBOHYDRATE………… 7 g
CALCIUM………………………………………….. 70 mg
PHOSPHORUS ………………………………… 1 mg
IRON …………………………………………………. 6 mg
SODIUM …………………………………………… 30 mg
POTASSIUM …………………………………….. 30 mg
MAGNESIUM ……………………………………. 130 mg
Monk fruit sweetener Market trend
Increased demand for natural sweeteners
With the need to curb down sugar intake, alternative sweeteners have gained a significant priority among the healthy conscious consumers. But, artificial sweeteners that have the possibilities of causing harmful side effects. That’s make the sweeteners derived from original fruit or plant has big potential market, the biggest two natural sweeteners are Stevia (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A) and Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V).
Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) is widely accepted as a revolutionary way of sweetening food and beverage products without any harmful effect of sugar substitutes and conventional sugar. Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) market witnesses a significant demand owing to the calorie-free sugar extract. Strong demand from the consumers, food and beverage industry and pharmaceuticals is expected to fuel up the global monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) market.
Other health benefits of Monk fruit sweetener
- Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) that possess several health benefits.
- Mogroside, being an anti-oxidant, helps in reducing the free radical damage in the body.
- Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) helps in preventing diabetes and obesity.
- Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) also possess anti-inflammatory properties and have anti-carcinogenic effects i.e. it helps in treating and preventing cancer.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties of monk fruit ingredients help in inhibiting the growth of bacteria, particularly, oral bacteria that causes oral diseases. It is believed that monk fruit is named after the Buddhist monks who cultivated the fruit nearly eight hundred years ago.
In addition to nutritional benefits,Monk fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) has a great cultural significance in China. Chinese government has imposed ban on the monk fruit and its genetic material to be cultivated in any other country. Hence, it is cultivated only in China. Owing to the growing awareness regarding the nutritional benefits of monk fruit ingredients, it is expected that the market will have a positive outlook during the forecast period.
Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) manufacturers
China is the biggestMonk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) manufacturers and export country in the world.
There are severalMonk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) manufacturers in China and abroad, as you know, the price of China suppliers can be better than abroad manufacturers. We have worked with China top manufacturer for years, we would like to recommend this Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) brand to you if you would like to save your purchasing cost with the same quality compared with abroad manufacturers. Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) Samples are available if you need it for further test after accept the price.
Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) price
As you know, there are many types of Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) in the market, the price is based on different type. Now the price of Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) is around USD/kg from China manufacturers and suppliers.
Where to buy Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V)
All the products listed in our website are from the manufacturers we have worked together for many years. The professional working experience backup our confidence to their quality. We can supply Monk Fruit sweetener (Mogroside V) for many Specifications and we can be your suppliers in China. If you would like to buy Stevioside and Rebaudioside A or inquiry price, please e-mail us through: email@example.com