D-Panthenol is a clear liquid that is soluble in water, methanol, and ethanol. It has a characteristic odor and slightly bitter taste. D-Panthenol is a source of vitamin B5 and is used as a nutritional additive and supplement. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is D-Panthenol?
Panthenol is an active ingredient for sophisticated cosmetic skin care and hair care products. It improves the appearance of skin, hair and nails. D-Panthenol USP is the provitamin of D-Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5). D-Pantothenic acid plays a key role in the human intermediary metabolism. It is a part of the Coenzym A.
Possible Side Effects of D-Panthenol
Although D-Panthenol generally regarded as a very safe and effective supplement, there can be some minor side effects. The side effects may:
- Skin irritation
- Contact allergies
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. D-Panthenol is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Retinyl acetate populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake D-Panthenol.
1. Simultaneous determination of pantothenic acid and D-panthenol in cosmetics by high performance liquid chromatography. [Se Pu. 2010 Nov] Author: Mao X, Hu X, Pan W.
2. Evaluation of the ultrasound influence in the cutaneous penetration of d-panthenol: test in vitro. [J Cosmet Dermatol. 2005 Jan] Author: Zague V, Polacow ML, Pires-de-Campos MS, Leonardi GR.
3. Determination of alpha-bisabolol and d-panthenol in cosmetic products by gas chromatography. [Int J Cosmet Sci. 1991 Jun] Author: Andre D, Verite P, Duclos R, Orecchioni AM, Failly F.
4. Direct determination of D-panthenol in pharmaceutical preparations by ion-pair chromatography. [J Chromatogr. 1984 Oct 26] Author: Bui-Nguyên MH.
5. Transcutaneous heparin therapy. Experimental histological studies with the effective combination heparin–allantoin–D panthenol. [Med Welt. 1983 May 20] Author: Heine H.