DL-Aspartic Acid is a white crystalline powder that is odorless with a slightly acidic taste. It is soluble in acid and is insoluble in alcohol. DL-Aspartic Acid can be added to drinks as a nutritional supplement and can be used in medicine as an ammonia detoxicating agent. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is DL-Aspartic Acid?
DL-Aspartic Acid is a colorless or white odorless crystal with the molecular formula (C4H7NO2) and a sour taste. Difficult to dissolve in water and insoluble in ethanol and ether. DL-aspartic acid is used in amino acid transfusion, synthetic drugs and cosmetics. It can be used as nutritional supplement and can be added into kinds of drinks. Additionally it can be used in treatment of liver trouble and heart disease
Possible Side Effects of DL-Aspartic Acid
DL-Aspartic Acid is generally considered a safe ingredient. The side effects may:
- Nausea and/or vomiting;
- Irritability, depression and/or mood changes;
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. DL-Aspartic Acid is considered safe by FDA.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to DL-Aspartic Acid populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake DL-Aspartic Acid.
1. DL-Aspartic acid administration improves semen quality in rabbit bucks. [Anim Reprod Sci. 2010 Apr] Author: Macchia G, Topo E, Mangano N, D’Aniello E, Boni R.
2. Infrared and laser Raman spectral studies of bis(dl-aspartic acid) sulfate. [Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2005 Nov] Author: Mary MB, Ramakrishnan V.
3. Neutron reflectivity and external reflection FTIR studies of DL-aspartic acid crystallization beneath nylon 6 spread films. [Langmuir. 2004 Apr 27] Author: Jamieson MJ, Cooper SJ, Miller AF, Holt SA.
4. [Protective effect of poly DL-aspartic acid on ototoxicity of gentamicin]. [Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 1999 Aug] Author: Guo Y, Li Z, Hu M.