Ethyl Vanillin is a white crystalline powder that is known as flavors. It is used in foods, sweets, ice cream, drinks and even cosmetics. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Ethyl Vanillin?
Ethyl Vanillin is a white to light yellow needle like crystalline powder that has a similar aroma to vanilla. Ethyl Vanilin is used in the food and beverage industry as a flavoring agent. It is used in confectionery, cakes, beverages, chocolates, breads, biscuits, and ice creams.
Possible Side Effects of Ethyl Vanillin
Although Ethyl Vanillin generally regarded as a very safe and effective supplement, there can be some minor side effects. The side effects may:
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Ethyl Vanillin is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Ethyl Vanillin populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Ethyl Vanillin.
1. Determination of vanillin, ethyl vanillin, and coumarin in infant formula by liquid chromatography-quadrupole linear ion trap mass spectrometry. [J Dairy Sci. 2014 Feb] Author: Shen Y, Han C, Liu B, Lin Z, Zhou X, Wang C, Zhu Z.
2. Oxidative decarboxylation of mandelic acid derivative by recombinant Escherichia coli: a novel method of ethyl vanillin synthesis. [Biotechnol Lett. 2013 Jun] Author: Pan XX, Li JJ, Wang MG, He WS, Jia CS, Zhang XM, Feng B, Li DL, Zeng Z.
3. Thermal tolerance and survival of Cronobacter sakazakii in powdered infant formula supplemented with vanillin, ethyl vanillin, and vanillic acid. [J Food Sci. 2012 Sep] Author: Yemiş GP, Pagotto F, Bach S, Delaquis P.
4. Effect of vanillin and ethyl vanillin on cytochrome P450 activity in vitro and in vivo. [Food Chem Toxicol. 2012 Jun] Author: Chen XM, Wei M, Zhang HM, Luo CH, Chen YK, Chen Y.
5. Effect of vanillin, ethyl vanillin, and vanillic acid on the growth and heat resistance of Cronobacter species. [J Food Prot. 2011 Dec] Author: Yemiş GP, Pagotto F, Bach S, Delaquis P.