Sodium Metabisulfite MSDS
1. SUBSTANCE IDENTIFICATION
- 1.1. Product Name: Sodium Metabisulfite
- 1.2. Description: Sodium Metabisulfite is a inorganic compound manufactured through chemical synthesis.
- 1.3. Chemical Formula: Na2S2O5
- 1.4. Molecular weight: 190.107
- 1.5. CAS #: 7681-57-4
- 1.6. EINECS #: 231-673-0
- 1.7. Manufactured by: China manufacturer.
- 1.8. Supplied by: China Sodium Metabisulfite manufacturer.
- 1.9. Usage: In food as preservative and antioxidant
- 2.1. Sodium Metabisulfite: >96.5%
- 2.2. Hazardous impurities: Heavy Metals( Pb)≤0.0005 %
3. Physical/Chemical Characteristics
- 3.1. Physical State: Powder
- 3.2. Appearance: White or light yellow powder
- 3.3. Odor: odor of sulfur dioxide
- 3.4. pH: 4.3
- 3.5. Melting point/range: 170 °C
- 3.6. Boiling point: Not available
- 3.7. Bulk density: 1.48 g/cm3
- 3.8. Solubility: Easily soluble in cold water, hot water
- 4.1. Chemical Stability: Stable under normal temperatures and pressures
- 4.2. Shelf Life: 24 months period
- 4.3. Hazardous decomposition: SOx, Na2O When heated
- 4.4. Hazardous polymerization: Will not occur
- 4.5. Incompatible with: Reactive with oxidizing agents, acids.
- 5.1. Storage: Store in a cool and dry place and Keep away from strong light and heat
- 5.2. Handling precaution: Keep away from incompatibles such as oxidizing agents, acids. Do not ingest、breathe dust、contact with skin. Wear suitable protective clothing. In case of insufficient ventilation, wear suitable respiratory equipment.
6. Exposure Control
- 6.1. Engineering Controls: keep airborne levels below recommended exposure limits
- 6.2. Respiratory protection: NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator
- 6.3. Eye Protection: Protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles
- 6.4. Skin Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothes to minimize skin contact.
- 6.5. Other: Consult professionals if Sodium Metabisulfite need to be handled under some special conditions.
7. Hazards Identification
- 7.1. Hazardous overview: Sodium Metabisulfite is Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of inhalation. Non-hazardous in case of ingestion
- 7.2. Contact with eyes: May cause skin irritation.
- 7.3. Contact with skin: May cause skin irritation.
- 7.4. Ingestion: May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
- 7.5. Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation.
- 7.6. Other: Not Applicable
8. First Aid Measures
- 8.1. Contact with eyes: Flush immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice
- 8.2. Contact with skin: Wash the affected area with water, remove contaminated clothing and launder before re-use. Seek medical advice if irritation develops or persists.
- 8.3. Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Loosen tight clothing such as a collar, tie, belt or waistband.
- 8.4. Inhalation: Remove from exposure, move to fresh air and seek medical advice immediately.
9. Fire and Explosion Data
- 9.1. General information: Non Combustible
- 9.2. Flash point: Not Applicable
- 9.3. Ignition control: Not Applicable
- 9.4. Dust control: Keep the handling area with adequate ventilation
- 9.5. Extinguishing Media: Not Applicable
- 9.6. Spills/Leaks: Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container
10. Transport Information
- 10.1. No special requirements and no restrictions on transportation by land, sea or air.
11. Ecological Information
- 11.1. Sodium Metabisulfite is fully biodegradable and its products of degradation are less toxic.
12. Other Information
- 12.1. The information in Sodium Metabisulfite MSDS was obtained from current and reliable sources. However, the data is provided without any warranty, expressed or implied, regarding its correctness or accuracy. Since the conditions for use, handling, storage and disposal of this product are beyond our control, it is the responsibility of the user both to determine safe conditions for use of this product and to assume liability for loss, damage, or expense arising out of the products improper use. No warranty expressed or implied regarding the product described herein will be created by or inferred from any statement or omission in the MSDS. Various federal, state, or provincial agencies may have specific regulations concerning the transportation, handling, storage, use, or disposal of this product which may not be reflected in Sodium Metabisulfite MSDS. The user should review these regulations to ensure full compliance.