Sodium triphosphate (STP), E451i also sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP), or tripolyphosphate (TPP),) is an inorganic compound with formula Na5P3O10. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Sodium Tripolyphosphate E451i?
Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP) E451i is a white water soluble powder that is the sodium salt of the polyphosphate penta-anion. Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP) is used in the food and beverage industry as a preservative and as an emulsifier. Specifically, Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP) is used in seafood, meats, and poultry.
Possible Side Effects of Sodium Tripolyphosphate E451i
Though Sodium Tripolyphosphate E451i is regarded as safe supplement, there maybe some side effects:
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Sodium Tripolyphosphate is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Sodium Tripolyphosphate populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Sodium Tripolyphosphate.
1. Biomimetic mineralization of a single-layer reconstituted type I collagen model induced by sodium tripolyphosphate and polyacrylic acid. [Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2014 Apr] Author: Gu L, Mai S, Qi Y, Huang Q, Ling J.
2. Reduction in lipid oxidation by incorporation of encapsulated sodium tripolyphosphate in ground turkey. [Meat Sci. 2013 Oct] Author: Sickler ML, Claus JR, Marriott NG, Eigel WN, Wang H.
3. Synchronous fluorescence determination of ferulic acid with Ce(IV) and sodium tripolyphosphate. [Luminescence. 2014 May] Author: Meng F, Liu P, Huang F, Wang L, Wu X, Shen L.
4. Antioxidative effects of encapsulated sodium tripolyphosphate and encapsulated sodium acid pyrophosphate in ground beef patties cooked immediately after antioxidant incorporation and stored. [Meat Sci. 2013 Jul] Author: Sickler ML, Claus JR, Marriott NG, Eigel WN, Wang H.
5. Room-temperature phosphorescent discrimination of catechol from resorcinol and hydroquinone based on sodium tripolyphosphate capped Mn-doped ZnS quantum dots. [Anal Chem. 2013 Feb 5] Author: Wang HF, Wu YY, Yan XP.