Betaine Hydrochloride is a white to light yellow crystalline powder with a sour taste. It is used in nutritional supplements to increase levels of stomach acid to aid in digestion, prevent the accumulation of fat in the liver, and enhance brain function and memory. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Betaine Hydrochloride?
Betaine HCl is a white crystalline powder that is oderless. It’s effective against heart-disease,and for treating anemia, asthma, gall stones, indigestion and heartburn. It can lessen rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems, tic dolorous, vitliglio, arteriosclerosis, diarrhea, allergies and rhinitis-nasal inflammation. It prevents malabsorption, osteoporosis, asthma, eczema, chronic hives, and vitiglio.
Possible Side Effects of Betaine Hydrochloride
Although Betaine Hydrochloride generally regarded as a very safe and effective supplement, there can be some minor side effects. The side effects may:
- stomach upse
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Betaine Hydrochloride is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Betaine Hydrochloride populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Betaine Hydrochloride.
1. Potentiometric batch and flow injection analysis of betaine hydrochloride. [Ann Chim. 2007 Mar-Apr] Author: Badawy SS, Youssef AF, Mutair AA.
2. Molecular association of betaine and betaine hydrochloride in aqueous solutions–a study by Raman spectroscopy. [Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001 Feb 16] Author: Amorim da Costa A, Leite JE.
3. The sedative, antipyretic and analgesic effects of betaine hydrochloride. [Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1986 Jan] Author: Xu DY, Yang DL, Ding YS, Deng P.
4. Effect of betaine hydrochloride on broiler chickens when used alone or in combination with vitamin B12. [Vet Med Nauki. 1976] Author: Bogdanov M, Filipova R, Tsvetkov S.
5. Solid state structure and chemistry of the choline halides and their analogues. Redetermination of the betaine hydrochloride structure, ((CH3)3NCH2COOH)+Cl-. [Acta Crystallogr B. 1970 Oct 15] Author: Fischer MS, Templeton DH, Zalkin A.