Calcium Caseinate is a high quality milk protein product uses in nutritional drinks, processed cheese and spreads, cheese analogue, and yogurt. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Calcium Caseinate?
Calcium Caseinate Powder is a high quality milk protein product, manufactured from fresh pasteurized skimmed milk through acid precipitation of the casein followed by neutralization and drying. This product is a high protein attrition dried milk powder which gives it high emulsification, high solubility, binding properties, a good mineral profile, and a good amino acid profile. Calcium Caseinate Powder is mainly used in processed cheese, liquor, snacking, infant formula, nutritional use, and for binding in processed food applications.
Possible Side Effects of Calcium Caseinate
Calcium Caseinate is generally considered a safe ingredient. The side effects may:
1. Those who are lactose-intolerant may experience stomach pain and bloating (excess gas and pressure in stomach).
2. Acid casein is treated with the chemical calcium hydroxide (alkali) to get calcium caseinate. Such chemical alkalies may curb and damage the nutrient-absorbing capacity of your digestive system.
3. Because it is exposed to high heat during processing, the caseinate becomes an ultra thermolyzed protein combined with MSG (a byproduct of protein thermolyzation). Consumption of this protein may lead to headaches, chest pain, nausea, weakness, heart palpitations, etc.
4. It is difficult for the human stomach to digest the denatured protein completely. So, some undigested protein enters the colon. There, it is fermented by colonic bacteria. This results in formation of highly carcinogenic phenolic compounds that contribute to the growth of colonic tumors. Thus, ultra thermolyzed casein can increase the risk of colon cancer.
5. Researchers and doctors are of the opinion that casein peptides can seriously affect blood pressure levels during and after surgery.
6. It has been observed that casein products interfere with the adsorption of certain drugs which can eventually result in serious health issues.
7. Some people are allergic to casein and may have a life-threatening reaction.
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Calcium Caseinate is considered safe by FDA.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Calcium Caseinate populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Calcium Caseinate.
1. Use of calcium caseinate in association with lecithin for masking the bitterness of acetaminophen–comparative study with sodium caseinate. [Int J Pharm. 2013 Nov 18] Author: Hoang Thi TH, Lemdani M, Flament MP.
2. Formation of fibrous materials from dense calcium caseinate dispersions. [Biomacromolecules. 2007 Apr] Author: Manski JM, van der Goot AJ, Boom RM.
3. Drying kinetics of calcium caseinate. [J Agric Food Chem. 2003 Jan 29] Author: Kozempel M, McAloon AJ, Tomasula PM.
4. Isothermal calorimetry study of calcium caseinate and whey protein isolate edible films cross-linked by heating and gamma-irradiation. [J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Oct 9] Author: Letendre M, D’Aprano G, Delmas-Patterson G, Lacroix M.