Glucono delta-lactone (GDL) E575, also known as gluconolactone, is a food additive with the E number E575 used as a sequestrant, an acidifier, or a curing, pickling, or leavening agent. It is a lactone of D-gluconic acid. Pure GDL is a white odorless crystalline powder. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Glucono Delta Lactone E575?
Glucono Delta Lactone E575 is a white crystalline powder, almost odorless, freely soluble in water, and has a slightly sweet taste. It is a multifunctional food additive which can be used as a protein coagulant, acidifier, expander, preservative, seasoning, chelating agent, color preserver, and it is commonly found in honey, fruit juices and wine
Possible Side Effects of Glucono Delta Lactone E575
Although Glucono Delta Lactone E575 generally regarded as a very safe and effective supplement, there can be some minor side effects. The side effects may:
- Bladder irritation.
- Back pain.
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Glucono Delta Lactone is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Glucono Delta Lactone populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Glucono Delta Lactone.
1. Tuning the Degradation Rate of Calcium Phosphate Cements by Incorporating Mixtures of Polylactic-co-Glycolic Acid Microspheres and Glucono-Delta-Lactone Microparticles. [Tissue Eng Part A. 2014 Jun 16] Author: Sariibrahimoglu K, An J, van Oirschot BA, Nijhuis AW, Eman RM, Alblas J, Wolke JG, van den Beucken JJ, Leeuwenburgh SC, Jansen JA.
2. Accelerated calcium phosphate cement degradation due to incorporation of glucono-delta-lactone microparticles. [Tissue Eng Part A. 2014 Jan] Author: Félix Lanao RP, Sariibrahimoglu K, Wang H, Wolke JG, Jansen JA, Leeuwenburgh SC.
3. Evaluation of sodium alginate and glucono-delta-lactone levels on the cold-set gelation of porcine myofibrillar proteins at different salt concentrations. [Meat Sci. 2010 Jun] Author: Hong GP, Chin KB.
4. Effect of oxidoreduction potential and of gas bubbling on rheological properties and microstructure of acid skim milk gels acidified with glucono-delta-lactone. [J Dairy Sci. 2009 Dec] Author: Martin F, Cayot N, Marin A, Journaux L, Cayot P, Gervais P, Cachon R.
5. Casein gelation under simultaneous action of transglutaminase and glucono-delta-lactone. [Nahrung. 2004 Jun] Author: Meneńdez O, Schwarzenbolz U, Rohm H, Henle T.
2 Responses to “Glucono-Delta-Lactone Side Effects”
My stomach hurts badly every time I eat a commercially prepared tuna salad that contains this. It’s the only ingredient that I don’t recognize. I’ve had no problems with any other ingredient.
I’ve had stomach aches from shelf-stable tofu and it’s the only ingredient I have not had in other types of tofu or other foods.