L-Glutamine is an amino acid used to help synthesize proteins. It is supplied as white crystals/crystalline powder, and may be used in dietary supplements. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is L-Glutamine?
L-Glutamine is an important amino acid that builds protein in the body. This product appears as a crystalline powder, and it can be used as a dietary supplement to cure gastric and duodenal ulcer, gastritis, and hyperchlorhydria. It is important for maintaining the suppression, structure and function of the small intestine.
Possible Side Effects of L-Glutamine
L-Glutamine is generally considered a safe ingredient. The side effects may:
- Blood in urine
- changes in skin color
- cold hands and feet
- difficulty swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- frequent and painful urination
- lower back or side pain
- pain, redness, or swelling in arm or leg
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips or tongue
- rapid, shallow breathing
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- stomach pain
- sudden decrease in amount of urine
- tightness in chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. L-Glutamine is considered safe by FDA.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to L-Glutamine populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake L-Glutamine.
1. Risk assessment for the amino acids taurine, L-glutamine and L-arginine. [Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2008 Apr] Author: Shao A, Hathcock JN.
2. L-Glutamine Supplementations Enhance Liver Glutamine-Glutathione Axis and Heat Shock Factor-1 Expression in Endurance-Exercise Trained Rats. [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2014 Sep 8] Author: Petry ER, Cruzat VF, Heck TG, Homem de Bittencourt PI Jr, Tirapegui J.