1. SUBSTANCE IDENTIFICATION
- 1.1. Product Name: Vanillin
- 1.2. Description: Vanillin is a organic compound manufactured through plant extraction.
- 1.3. Chemical Formula: C8H8O3
- 1.4. Molecular weight: 152.15
- 1.5. CAS #: 121-33-5
- 1.6. EINECS #: 204-465-2
- 1.7. Manufactured by: China manufacturer.
- 1.8. Supplied by: China Vanillin manufacturer.
- 1.9. Usage: In food as Aromas & Perfumes
- 2.1. Vanillin: ≥99.5%
- 2.2. Hazardous impurities: Negative
3. Physical/Chemical Characteristics
- 3.1. Physical State: Powder
- 3.2. Appearance: White to pale yellow crystal like powder
- 3.3. Odor: Pleasant aromatic vanilla odor
- 3.4. pH: Not available
- 3.5. Melting point/range: 80°C
- 3.6. Boiling point: 285°C
- 3.7. Bulk density: Not applicable
- 3.8. Solubility: 11 g/1000 g of water at 25°C
- 4.1. Chemical Stability: Stable under normal temperatures and pressures
- 4.2. Shelf Life: 24 months period
- 4.3. Hazardous decomposition: Not Applicable
- 4.4. Hazardous polymerization: Will not occur
- 4.5. Incompatible with: Can react violently with Br2, HClO4, potassium-tert-butoxide, tert-chlorobenzene + NaOH, formic acid + thallium nitrate. Sensitive to Moisture and light. Also incompatible with perchloric acid.
- 5.1. Storage: kept in dry, cool, and shaded place with original packaging at room temperature, avoid moisture.
- 5.2. Handling precaution: Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition. Empty containers pose a fire risk, evaporate the residue under a fume hood.
6. Exposure Control
- 6.1. Engineering Controls: Use process enclosures, local exhaust ventilation, or other engineering controls to keep airborne levels below recommended exposure limits.
- 6.2. Respiratory protection: Dust respirator
- 6.3. Eye Protection: Protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles
- 6.4. Skin Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothes to minimize skin contact.
- 6.5. Other: Consult professionals if Vanillin need to be handled under some special conditions.
7. Hazards Identification
- 7.1. Hazardous overview: Vanillin is Hazardous in case of eye contact, ingestion, or inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact.
- 7.2. Contact with eyes: May cause eye irritation
- 7.3. Contact with skin: Low hazard for usual industrial handling.
- 7.4. Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal tract irritation and affect the cardiovascular system, respiration, liver (jaundice), urinary system, behavior/nervous system.
- 7.5. Inhalation: Prolonged or repeated inhalation may affect the brain and blood.
- 7.6. Other: Not applicable
8. First Aid Measures
- 8.1. Contact with eyes: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical adivce
- 8.2. Contact with skin: Wash with soap and water and seek medical advice if irritation develops.
- 8.3. Ingestion: If large quantity of vanillin is swallowed, seek medical aid immediately.
- 8.4. Inhalation: Remove from exposure, move to fresh air and seek medical advice if having breathing difficulty
9. Fire and Explosion Data
- 9.1. General information: May be combustible at high temperature.
- 9.2. Flash point: Not applicable
- 9.3. Ignition control: Not Applicable
- 9.4. Dust control: Keep the handling area with adequate ventilation
- 9.5. Extinguishing Media: DRY chemical powder, water spray, carbon dioxide or chemical foam
- 9.6. Spills/Leaks: Sweep or Vacuum up
10. Transport Information
- 10.1. No special requirements and no restrictions on transportation by land, sea or air.
11. Ecological Information
- 11.1. Vanillin is fully biodegradable and the products of degradation are less toxic than the product itself.
12. Other Information
- 12.1. The information in this MSDS was obtained from current and reliable sources. However, the data is provided without any warranty, expressed or implied, regarding its correctness or accuracy. Since the conditions for use, handling, storage and disposal of this product are beyond our control, it is the responsibility of the user both to determine safe conditions for use of this product and to assume liability for loss, damage, or expense arising out of the products improper use. No warranty expressed or implied regarding the product described herein will be created by or inferred from any statement or omission in the MSDS. Various federal, state, or provincial agencies may have specific regulations concerning the transportation, handling, storage, use, or disposal of this product which may not be reflected in the MSDS. The user should review these regulations to ensure full compliance.