Dl-Methionine is a amino acid used in nutraceutical, nutritional supplement, and food additive applications. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Glucono Dl-Methionine?
DL-Methionine is a protein-based amino acid and lipotropic compound that helps with metabolism and breaks down fat. It can also help with chelation, which is the removal of heavy metals from the body to ensure that the liver, kidneys, and bladder remain healthy. This amino acid preserves artery function and maintains healthy nails, hair, and skin. Additionally, it is essential for muscle growth and energy. Methionine is important in angiogenesis, the growth of new blood vessels, and supplementation may benefit those suffering from Parkinson’s, drug withdrawal, schizophrenia, radiation, copper poisoning, asthma, allergies, alcoholism, or depression.
Possible Side Effects of Dl-Methionine
Although Dl-Methionine generally regarded as a very safe and effective supplement, there can be some minor side effects. The side effects may:
- loss of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea.
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Dl-Methionine is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Dl-Methionine populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Dl-Methionine.
1. Effects of different dietary protein levels and DL-methionine supplementation on hair growth and pelt quality in mink (Neovision vision). [J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2013 Dec] Author: Zhang HH, Jiang QK, Sun WL, Xu C, Cong B, Yang FH, Li GY.
2. Bioavailability of methionine hydroxy analog-calcium salt relative to DL-methionine to support nitrogen retention and growth in starter pigs. [Animal. 2012 Nov] Author: Opapeju FO, Htoo JK, Dapoza C, Nyachoti CM.
3. Pig performance increases with the addition of DL-methionine and L-lysine to ensiled cassava leaf protein diets. [Trop Anim Health Prod. 2012 Jan] Author: Ly NT, Ngoan le D, Verstegen MW, Hendriks WH.
4. Effects of dietary protein content and 2-hydroxy-4-methylthiobutanoic acid or DL-methionine supplementation on performance and oxidative status of broiler chickens. [Br J Nutr. 2011 Dec] Author: Swennen Q, Geraert PA, Mercier Y, Everaert N, Stinckens A, Willemsen H, Li Y, Decuypere E, Buyse J.
5. Effects of diets with different protein and DL-methionine levels on the growth performance and N-balance of growing minks. [J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2012 Jun] Author: Zhang HH, Li GY, Ren EJ, Xing XM, Wu Q, Yang FH.