Sodium Aluminum Phosphate (SALP) E541 is a leavening agent. It is often used in baking powders. Though it’s considered safe, some are convinced it has potentially dangerous health effects.
What Is Sodium Aluminum Phosphate E541?
Sodium Aluminum Phosphate E541 is a slow/heat reactive leavening acid. It can be used in a wide range of bakery applications by itself or in combination with other leavening acids. It is used specifically as a leavening agent in baking powders and in institutional and retail cake, cookie, muffin, and pancake mixes.
Possible Side Effects of Sodium Aluminum Phosphate E541
Though Sodium Aluminum Phosphate E541 is regarded as safe supplement, there maybe some side effects:
Possible long-term side effects
- bone problems
- chronic aluminum toxicity (with extremely high doses)
- brain damage (with extremely high doses)
GRAS Affirmation: Yes
Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) is an American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Sodium Aluminum Phosphate is considered safe.
Special Populations Precaution
There is a lot of concern about diet and nutrition for these population, like Newborns, children, pregnant, sensitive to Sodium Aluminum Phosphate populations. Better consult to your doctor if you would like to intake Sodium Aluminum Phosphate E541.
1. Toxicity and aluminium concentration in bone following dietary administration of two sodium aluminium phosphate formulations in rats. [Food Chem Toxicol. 1987 Jul] Author: Hicks JS, Hackett DS, Sprague GL.
2. Toxicity and aluminium concentration in bone following dietary administration of two sodium aluminium phosphate formulations in rats. [Food Chem Toxicol. 1987 Jul] Author: Hicks JS, Hackett DS, Sprague GL.
3. A 6-month dietary toxicity study of acidic sodium aluminium phosphate in beagle dogs. [Food Chem Toxicol. 1984 Jan] Author: Katz AC, Frank DW, Sauerhoff MW, Zwicker GM, Freudenthal RI